I was pretty lucky to catch a cheapish flight to Perth from Brisbane half an hour after my mum’s flight left. This meant it made sense for my dad to drive us down, and meant we didn’t have to be up at 4am to catch the bus.

I got to Perth and was picked up by Steve, and we had a fun night of wine, music and The Game of Life. The next day we met up with Jodi and her partner Dave, and played a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity. After that we went out to The Court where we had too many Jaeger and Vodka Redbulls, and still managed to be home by 1am.

The rest of the stay in Perth was so much fun as well, meeting up with a lot of old and new friends. I sometimes miss how easy it is to talk to people who know your history and still want to be friends.

Alas, 4 days after I’d arrived, it was already time to go. Jodi drove me out to the airport and I managed to get on the flight, despite a workplace action by Airport Security. I managed a little sleep and got safely into Singapore.

The taxi driver I got was an elderly Singaporean gentleman of Chinese heritage, and he spoke very limited English. His navigation system consisted of his years of experience and a paper street directory. We managed to find the street my hostel was on in the directory, and off we went, speeding past other taxis, cars, buses and trucks. We did this while listening to classical music at concert sound levels, and when we passed one of the F1 areas, he made a comment on how the F1 was an annoyance, that their cars made too much noise. I made a joke that I thought he was like an F1 driver and he laughed.

My hostel was pretty great. It was is a nice place, walking distance from pretty much everything, and the actual experience there was good too. I stayed in a 14 bed women’s dorm, but it was set up that you felt like it was only about 6 people. Breakfast was decent, toast with a variety of spreads, fresh fruit and real coffee. The WiFi was fast and the rooms air-conditioned.

During my time in Singapore, I decided to visit the Perenekan Museum, which shows an important part of Singapore’s history. It was so interesting, and the tours so detailed, I ended up staying for over 3 hours! I then wanted to check out some Singaporean street food, and while it’s good, I don’t think it stands up to other South East Asian food. I was then sucked into getting a facial and shoulder massage. $150 later, I had had my pores sucked clean and part of my birthmark burned off with a laser. Together with with the fact that I was sporting a massive coldsore, I was feeling ugly and sorry for myself, not really what you’re going for after a facial and massage!

The next morning I woke up much too early, as I usually do before a trip, and decided to walk down to the Singapore Flyer, which is where my bus left from. At the end I was hot and sweaty, but thankfully the bus was air-conditioned. Navigating customs was much easier this time than the first time because I knew where to get back on the bus! I must say though, I am glad that Malaysia uses fingerprints to check your identity, because I looked nothing like my passport photo. I had lost 35kg, almost a quarter of my face burnt off, a massive coldsore and a different hair cut and colour.

After a relatively boring trip up through Malaysia, made slightly more interesting by a Malaysian Auntie on the bus telling us how things were going to go down, we finally arrived at the correct jetty with the correct tickets, only to find that the ferry had been overbooked.

After waiting outside of the ferry for a good half hour, an Indian man (who had previously ripped me off in a money changing transaction) went into the ferry, and shortly afterwards about 30 Indians came out of the hold, and onto the jetty. After that, the rest of us were advised we could now board. No idea what had happened, but I’m glad I managed to get onto the island, even if we were almost an hour late.

I was ensconced at the Aguna Resort, and I await further adventures to develop.